Sunday, January 25, 2015

Murder She Wrote

I am going to preface this blog by saying it is going to be heavy on the graphic details. So if you're not a fan of those posts feel free to turn back now while you still can!

...Are the weaklings gone? Good...

Today I worked on my first homicide case. Now, I can't let the cat out of the bag (insert rim shot) about the case) It's still an open investigation and 2) my boss expressly told Steve and I not to really talk about it....so I'm going to write about it instead! Bazinga!

But seriously, even though this case made the local news, and I know more personal details about it, I'm not going to give those out.

I remember hearing about this story on the news, and was totally shocked when I was called in today (because I'm covering for Caleb) that we were going to be receiving one of the bodies from the double homicide.

Just a little bit of background, the reason this person died was because they were trying to protect a mother and her child, and unfortunately they didn't live (nor did the child, but I hear that the mother will pull through).

Now normally when we have to embalm an autopsy it will take about 90 minutes to two hours. This embalming took almost 4 hours to complete, and the main reason why, was because of all the stab wounds.

Most of the wounds were to the chest and face, and then we saw the horrible dead trauma and lacerations to the back. The fight that this person put up trying to save these people, must have been extraordinary.

As we were working on the body, trying to sew up all the lacerations, we all kept saying, "Jesus Christ" over and over. Along with "what an animal, who would do this to another human, let alone a child". Our funeral home did not receive the child into our care, I'm not quiet sure who did, but I pray that the morticians who work on the baby will have strength and courage to deal with the trauma.

The biggest lesson we all can learn from this, is that if you or someone you know is suffering from domestic abuse or think that there is a domestic abuse issue at hand, do not hesitate for one second to call 911 and get help.

So please hold your loved ones close tonight and always and remember that nothing is certain.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment